Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Sights and Tastes of Edinburgh


Proof that I am here...
I truly love this city and this country.  For some people, Scotland is defined only by the rain, the clouds, and a perceived lack of vibrance.  But those who subscribe to this view miss the mark.  I admit I am no expert on Scottish affairs, but I do try to immerse myself in the culture so that I might enjoy my experience to the fullest measure.  


Mounds of fudge
This was one of those days.  After six hours in the NLS looking at manuscripts and books from the 1700s - mostly focusing on rules and regulations of clubs and societies and debates on whether or not to give money to servants so that they might buy alcohol - I packed up my belongings and headed home.  The sun shining once again, I briefly stopped at the flat and then took to the streets.  


Mr. Whippy Van
During my travels, I have noticed that Europeans take time out to enjoy the afternoon, whether sipping a drink, a coffee, a tea, or having ice cream.  So my first stop was Mr. Whippy.


Piles of sweets
Large noodle bowl
After a cool, refreshing treat from Mr. Whippy, I proceeded to an open-air market right around the corner from Rose.  The variety of foods was overwhelming:




Fresh olives
Chocolate crepes
Mushrooms...


Kangaroo? Does that come in a pita pouch?
One dollar is equivalent to approximately 0.67 British pounds.  Thus, a kangaroo burger would cost around $5.65.  I opted not to buy a kangaroo burger, as it came with a sloppy joey...


It's getting late.  Time for the World Snooker Championships.







No comments:

Post a Comment