Thursday, May 17, 2012

Dr. Wallace: Booked for "Illegal Presentation"

The law smacked my hand...don't worry, this will not turn into an episode of "Locked Up Abroad."  Unlike in the states (at least here in the city of Edinburgh) rubbish is collected several times per week; in our case, we do not use wheelie bins and roll them out to the curb.  Rather, we place our rubbish in a large garbage bag and leave it outside the entrance to the flat.  Not knowing the rubbish collection schedule, I assumed I could place it outside when I felt moved to do so.  The Environmental Wardens did not like this, and I was hit with an "Illegal Presentation" citation. 


Announcer: "And there's a flag on the field.  Looks like the defensive end tried to give the quarterback a birthday present!  Can you believe that?  During a game of this magnitude.  Let's listen to the ref."


Ref: "Illegal presentation, defense, number 26.  Fifteen yard penalty, and the penalty results in loss of down and no birthday cake."
St Giles Cathedral


All is well.  I will now present in a lawful and legal manner.



The Fiery Mr. Knox
And now for a bit o' history on this fine Edinburgh morning.  Recently, I was asked to find the angels playing bagpipes.  I am pleased to announce that I found two of these!  St Giles Cathedral - located on the Royal Mile - is one of the most recognizable buildings in Edinburgh.  It's spire is in the shape of a crown, modeled after the crowned jewels that reside in the Edinburgh Castle.  Although the outside dates from the 19th century, the magnificent crown was completed in 1495.  The interior is rather old as well, with the four main pillars dating from 1120 and the majority of what one sees a product of the 15th century.  John Knox - the passionate Reformation leader and founder of Scots Presbyterianism - first preached here in 1559. 
Interior of St Giles

Towards the back of the church sits the Thistle Chapel (or Chapel of the Knights of the Thistle).  A fine display of Scottish craftsmanship, this chapel was constructed in 1911.  The Order of the Thistle is largely the creation of James VII & II and membership is usually bestowed upon those who have distinguished themselves in society and are of Scots ancestry.  Decorated with symbols, figures, animals, angels, and musical instruments, the Thistle Chapel is the site of induction into the Order.  



Bagpipes in heaven?
Thistle Chapel




I have discovered that my William & Mary shirt attracts quite a bit of attention.  People see William & Mary and I believe they think I am a monarchist.  This may be what is considered an "illegal presentation."

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pics of angels playing bagpipes!
    Being of Scots-Irish Presbyterian ancestry, that IS Scotland to me!
    Jo Ann Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are certainly welcome. So glad you enjoyed the pictures; the Thistle Chapel is beautiful.

      Mark

      Delete
  2. I've bookmarked your blog and find that I'm logging in daily to see what you're up to. Would this be considered stalking Dr. Wallace?

    Beware ye all who enter in....

    I think you should give us also a brief history on the Wallace clan name, focusing on the 'other Wallace's - besides William and Mel Gibson.

    Rupert

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will see what I can do. I thought Mel Gibson was a Wallace...We are off to Stirling this coming weekend, so I shall see what I can unearth. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete