Monday, April 16, 2012

Two Weeks & Counting...

North Sea
As I prepare for my trip to Scotland, I thought I would take just a minute to offer a brief explanation of what I will be studying and how this is significant to Danville Community College, its class offerings, and the Study Abroad Program.


During the three months of my fellowship, I will research those periods of Scottish history that more closely relate to my PhD research, specifically the sixteenth through the nineteenth centuries. I continually develop those themes such as religion, class, ideology, religion, and gender, which are important to Scottish history but certainly are relevant to American history and Western Civilization. Implicit in lectures and discussions are in-depth analyses of imperial expansion, revolution, political ideologies, and spirituality – subjects which I taught while a doctoral student at the University of St. Andrews and currently teach at Danville Community College.

St Andrews

While in Britain, I plan to make a video log of places in Edinburgh and other cities to be visited; I will catalogue places of historical relevance so that I might use these personal video documentaries in my classes, during lectures, and at conferences.  My video documentaries will allow students to experience places of historical significance outside of history textbooks and encourage them to participate in the college’s Study Abroad program by emphasizing the study of history through first-hand exploration of a particular place. Additionally, studying in Britain this summer will enable me to incorporate my findings and documentaries into courses offered in conjunction with our Study Abroad Program.  Ultimately, students will gain a better historical understanding of Scotland, in addition to achieving a certain measure of comprehension and appreciation for other societies and customs.

No comments:

Post a Comment