Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Haggis: Your Friend

I have received several notes and emails about haggis, this uniquely Scottish culinary masterpiece that both delights and frightens people around the world.  For those unfamiliar with haggis, I feel it necessary to offer a general definition that may cause some readers to effectively end their browsing session.


According to dictionary.com, haggis is "a traditional pudding made of the heart, liver, etc., of a sheep or calf, minced with suet and oatmeal, seasoned, and boiled in the stomach of the animal."  Pudding...I don't remember Bill Cosby ever advertising J-E-L-L-O haggis pudding pops.


At any rate, I can personally vouch for this flavorful dish.  'Neeps and tatties (turnips and potatoes) enhance the dining experience, and for the adventurous one might even opt to eat haggis with a Scottish breakfast which may include baked beans, eggs, mushrooms, bacon (although not 'streaky' bacon, but ham), potatoes, and fried  bread or toast.


I will post pictures of haggis once I am in Scotland.  Feel free to view this wonderful, savory treat on your own, although I urge you not to judge a haggis by its cover.  Or in this case, its stomach lining.


No comments:

Post a Comment