Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Homestretch

The London Eye
Over the course of the past two weeks or so, I have been fighting some sort of ailment...I believe it was caused by too much sunshine.  Thus, my blogging activities have been limited.  And my in-laws just left - with whom we had a wonderful time, I might add - and they too experienced the Scottish phenomenon of 'sun-overdose'.  


So, I will pick up where I left off: Melinda and I were visiting London...



We took a spin on the London Eye, apparently the world's largest cantilevered observation wheel.  Opened by former Prime Minister Tony Blair in 1999, on a clear day one is able to see almost 25 miles in any direction.  The views were absolutely astounding, although someone inside our capsule repeated over and over 'Look kids!  Big Ben!  Parliament'!  Then the London Eye kept spinning and it took us all day to find our exit...
It...is...later...than...you...think...
Lights Out!


If you have followed my blog over the past several months, you are aware that I am quite keen on trying new foods.  Unfortunately, we were unable to try the famed 'jellied eel', quite a delicacy in London's East End.  As a compromise, we visited the home of jellied eel, The Globe Theatre.


'All the world's a stage'.  No, not from a
Madonna song...







The old Globe Theatre was built in the 1590s.  In addition to staging numerous plays, it was reputed to serve as both a gambling house and brothel.  William Shakespeare himself acted at the Globe, although records do not indicate how often he acted.  Even to this day, a debate rages as to the authenticity of his plays.  Despite such scepticism, he wrote 37 plays and 154 sonnets; he died at the age of 52.

We are away to the Isle of Skye over the weekend, so I will blog from Sunday until the end of our trip, and you can view our travel route here.  And finally, I am listening to the news, and apparently too many people rely upon electronic devices to communicate with one another.  Thus, in an effort to connect with my audience, I will be handwriting my blog and sending it everyone, along with personal sketches of the places we have visited.  


'Though this be madness, yet there is method in't'.

No comments:

Post a Comment